Price on application
If you were looking for the Biggest Of The Best then this is it, an incredibly rare 2-bladed propeller made by Fairey-Reed and from a 1930s era Avro Anson.
Fairey-Reed (a division of the Fairey Aircraft Company) was a propeller manufacturer located at Hayes,West London and used designs based on the patents of Sylvanus Albert Reed who was actually credited for inventing the metal aircraft propeller. These designs were very sleek and unique in their appearance and when manufacturing them they were cast into a flat blank and then pressed into their beautiful shape. This meant that many variants of pitch angle could be made from just one type of propeller blank with just a change of tooling.The design proved to be very successful and was used on a wide range of aircraft throughout WW2 and into the 60s. His designs were also produced by Curtiss in the USA and It was only the introduction of the variable pitch propeller that rendered the Reed Propeller obsolete.
As with all our polished propellers this has been chemically stripped to remove all the paint and painstakingly polished on both sides to a mirror finish. It has undergone 18 stages of sanding and 5 stages of polishing to achieve a perfect flawless finish. There's no Chrome here, what you see is bare metal plus countess hours of work to achieve the finished result
The Avro Anson is a British twin-engined, multi-role aircraft built by the aircraft manufacturer Avro. Large numbers of the type served in a variety of roles for the Royal Air Force (RAF), Fleet Air Arm (FAA), Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and numerous other air forces before, during, and after the Second World War.
Initially known as the Avro 652A, the Anson was developed during the mid-1930s from the earlier Avro 652 airliner in response to a request for tenders issued by the British Air Ministry for a maritime reconnaissance aircraft. Having suitably impressed the Ministry, a single prototype was ordered, which conducted its maiden flight on 24 March 1935. Following an evaluation in which the Type 652A bettered the competing de Havilland DH.89, it was selected as the winner, leading to Air Ministry Specification 18/35 being written around the type and an initial order for 174 aircraft being ordered in July 1935. The Type 652A was promptly named after British Admiral George Anson.
The type was placed into service with the Royal Air Force (RAF) and was initially used in the envisioned maritime reconnaissance operation alongside the larger flying boats. However, by the outbreak of the Second World War, the Anson was soon found to have become obsolete in front line combat roles. However, large numbers of the type were put to use as a multi-engined aircrew trainer, having been found to be suitable for the role, and became the mainstay of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The type continued to be used in this role throughout and after the conflict, remaining in RAF service as a trainer and communications aircraft until 28 June 1968.